Sunday, November 1, 2009

Blog 38_Just look, don't eat!

Call it a stereotype, but the Japanese is seen as one of the most innovative but also the craziest when it comes to funky ideas!

Recently, I saw this video and it proves that the stereotype was pretty accurate. In Tokyo, most restaurants display their menu in the window. Sorry, I mean, the plastic version of it. It includes everything you can imagine on a Japanese menu- sushi, noodles, soup, andeven ice-cream sundae. Customers can easily be fooled by the authenticity of the plastic food.

Restaurant managers think that this will help lure customers into their restaurant by showing them what they will get. Most elderly customers really like it. They wish that restaurants around the world can adopt this idea since there is always a barrier of language, but not of visuals.

I remember when I was young and still living in Hong Kong, many Japanese restaurants have such products. I used to pick the "shrimp" out of the "noodles", only to realise that it was hard, cold and probably too light even for a low-fat shrimp. I asked my mother why restaurants display fake food. Her painful answer? "To prevent hungry people like you from stealing the food."

Credit is given to szantobett

No comments:

Post a Comment